Barbequed Steaks with Sweet Potato Salad
July may be nearly over, but that doesn’t mean the end of BBQ season! We’ve teamed up with local butcher Bannerman Butcher to bring you the perfect recipe for hanger steaks with a sweet potato salad side, guaranteed to land you the title of King of the BBQ.
Whether enjoyed outdoors in the sunshine or inside on those Scottish summer days, this quick and easy dish is the perfect crowd pleaser. Just follow the simple steps below.
You will need
2 large hanger steaks from Bannerman Butcher (depending on how many people you are feeding)
For the sweet potato salad:
2kg sweet potatos, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, grated
140g feta cheese, roughly crumbled
50g toasted pine nuts
100g pomegranate seeds
Salt and pepper
1 tsp red chili flakes
4 spring onions, finely chopped
½ small bunch parsley, chopped
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp clear honey
5 tbsp white wine vinegar
Begin by Making the Salad
As the steaks take only minutes to cook, start by preparing the sweet potato salad. This can be done in advance of your guests arriving, giving you plenty of time to play host.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Toss the sweet potato with the olive oil, garlic, chili flakes, salt and pepper until coated evenly, then spread across a baking tray topped with baking paper.
- Cook for 30-35 minutes until tender, then leave to cool to room temperature.
- Mix the dressing ingredients into a large bowl, seasoning to taste.
- Pile the potato onto a serving platter and generously drizzle over the dressing.
- Tear up the feta and scatter over with the toasted pine nuts and pomegranate, then gently toss with your hands, taking care not to break up the potato.
With your salad ready it’s time to move onto cooking the steaks. For this recipe, Bannerman Butcher suggests using hanger steaks as the heat of the BBQ really intensifies the flavour.
- Place your steaks onto a hot BBQ and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on how you like yours cooked.
- Add a little salt and pepper, then rest the meat for 5 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
This recipe is the perfect dish for when you have lots of guests coming over and you don’t want spend hours over the stove. Quick, simple and delicious, enjoy recreating this tasty steak and sweep potato salad recipe for friends and family.
Disclaimer: Please note the recipe for the sweet potato salad was adapted from BBC Good Food’s recipe here.