Foodie Quine’s Banana Strawberry and Honey Muffins
Leading food and drink blogger Foodie Quine shares another of her favourite recipes for the muffins she provided at the refreshment table of this year’s Chapelton 10K.
One of my favourite things about the Chapelton 10k in 2018 (apart from the fab medal) was the fantastic selection of homebakes available after the race for the runners. Having signed up to take part again in 2019 (I’d clearly forgotten about THE HILL) I wanted to contribute something for the refreshment table so whipped up a couple of batches of Banana, Strawberry and Honey Muffins the night before the race.
Alas by the time I’d plodded my way around the course they were all gone! I’m going to have to run faster next year. (To put it into perspective Robbie Simpson won in 32:25. I reached 5k at 33.20)
Love Food Hate Waste – This recipe is ideal for using up bananas – the blacker the better. Did you know that you can freeze over ripe bananas to use in baking (or smoothies) at a later date?
Banana, Strawberry and Honey Muffins
Ingredients for 10 muffins
280g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large well ripened bananas
1 free range egg, beaten
90ml sunflower oil
150g strawberries, finely chopped
- Prepare muffin tins with 10 paper cases and preheat oven to 200c
In a large bowl sieve together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas, add the honey, egg, milk, oil and mix well.
- Pour all wet ingredients into dry and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in three quarters of the finely chopped strawberries.
- Spoon into 10 muffin cases.
- Top with the remaining strawberries and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are lightly browned and springy.