Christmas Cookie Recipe
As we approach Christmas we all have our own routines that help us feel festive, be that curling up with our favourite Christmas films, listening to festive Christmas music or decorating our homes to inspire festive cheer.
Another great way to get yourself in the Christmas spirit is by baking some delicious Christmas goods. These tasty sugar cookies are so simple to make and can be used as ornaments to hang on your Christmas tree, wrapped in cellophane and given as a gift or simply enjoyed with a festive hot chocolate. Take a look at the recipe below.
You Will Need
For the Biscuits
- 100g of unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 100g of caster sugar
- 1 free-range egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 275g of plain flour
- Begin by preheating your oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5, then line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar together until pale, light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the egg and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
- Sift in the flower slowly until the mixture comes together as a dough before rolling out on a flowered work surface to a thickness of 1.5cm.
- Using cookie cutters or a glass, cut shapes out of the dough and carefully place onto a baking tray.
- If you are planning to use the biscuits as Christmas tree decorations, this is where you would use a straw to cut a hole in the top of the biscuit. Remember that the dough will spread out when baking so ensure the hole is not too small.
- Next, bake the biscuits in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until they are a pale-golden brown. Take them out of the oven and leave them to firm up for 5 minutes before cooling them on a wire rack.
For the Decorations
- 400g of icing sugar
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 2-3 drops of food colourings
- Edible glitter (optional)
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. Stir in a few drops of your choice of food colouring until you are happy with the colour
- Carefully spread the icing onto the biscuits using a knife and sprinkle over the glitter or any other decorations you’d like to use. If using the biscuits for a Christmas decoration you could add bows, just remember to remove them before eating.
- Set aside until the icing hardens, then enjoy with friends, wrap as gifts or decorate your tree.
Disclaimer: Please note the recipe for these Christmas cookies was adapted from BBC Good Food’s recipe here.